Tue, 27 June|
Mount Waverley Youth Centre - Hall A
CSSA June Gathering 2023
Time and Location
27 June 2023, 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm AEST
Mount Waverley Youth Centre - Hall A, 45 Miller Cres, Mount Waverley VIC 3149, Australia
About the Event
Hope you can join us at the CSSA June Gathering! For those unable to attend the hall we will still be Live Streaming to the CSSA Members-Only Group and Zooming (details on how to join can be found below).
Our Speaker this month is Attila Kapitany - What does Paradise look like?
Attila Kapitany is a leading expert on Australian succulents. He has written and co-authored 17 books on cacti and succulents including large tomes on Copiapoa and Echeveria. Nearly 40 years ago, with his brother Jeno, he developed and established several nurseries, both wholesale and retail, that are now Australia’s largest centres for succulent research, development and marketing. He has since left the commercial business to continue and expand what he loves doing the best – promoting the passion for plants to others. For several decades, Attila’s professional and private life has been consumed by the appreciation and promotion of these plants to the collector, the gardener and the general public. He has regularly appeared on television, radio and stages around the country and internationally. In the last 15 years he has become best known for his work with Australian native succulents and other
xerophytes including bottle trees and boabs. Most recently, along with the Australian Government, Attila helped organise a series of postage stamps
featuring his favourite plants.
While I by no means have a crystal ball or know what each of we growers/collectors have in mind with our plants and why we desire them, I have a long history of visiting and questioning people about such things while also photographing their collections and gardens! Habitat scenes will also be included. So this is a pictorial treat with my thoughts and observations about different concepts of a cactus and succulent Paradise!
AT THE HALL:
- Members/Visitors/Guests will need to sign in with the CSSA, this is for Society Insurance purposes and must be completed.
- Please DO NOT attend if you have any symptoms of Covid-19 (temperature over 37.5°C, runny nose, cough, aches/pains, nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea, sore throat, loss of sense of smell or taste, fever/chills/night sweats, headache, shortness of breath, fatigue), have tested positive to Covid, have had close contact with anyone confirmed or suspected of having Covid-19, or have been required to self-isolate (please refer to https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/checklist).
- Face masks are no longer required unless you have been a Covid close contact. But feel free to wear one if you wish.
The order of proceedings will be as follows (approximate times):
• 6.00pm Hall will open to set-up the venue (if you can assist with set-up this would be appreciated)
• 6.45pm Sellers may enter the Hall to set-up their sales
• 7.00pm Members/Guests/Visitors may enter the Hall
• 7.30pm Zoom room will open and soon after the live stream to FB CSSAustralia Members-only Group will commence
• 8.00pm Monthly Gathering starts
• 10.00pm Gathering close and pack up (if you can assist with pack-up this would be appreciated)
FOR THOSE WISHING TO JOIN THE MEETING VIRTUALLY:
>> CSS Australia Members are provided the Zoom details via email and the Members-Only FB Group
>> If you would like to join the Monthly Gathering Zoom room as a Guest/Visitor, please send us a PM no later than 24 hours prior to commencement of the Monthly Gathering.
Guests/Visitors are welcome to join our Monthly Gatherings either at the hall or via Zoom for up to three occasions, after this time we ask you to become a Member. More information about our Membership is available on our Website (https://cssaustralia.org.au/membership). Membership costs as little as AU$20 ($15 concession holders) a year – so there is no better time to join than now!